Monday, September 26, 2011

A day of diversity/inclusion in Boston and one happy/proud father!

This weekend Columbus Ave in Boston by Northeastern University (my alma mater) was shut down to celebrate the Berklee Beantown Jazzfest. A kaleidoscope of people and music.

Something happened that almost brought me to tears. I was with my two daughters (14 & 11). My oldest daughter just started her freshman year at Mount St. Josephs, 100 year old all girls school in Brighton with about 265 students, which is approx 15 miles from her home.

She notices another girl from her new school and they run to each other and hug. So what's the big deal about that? My daughter is white and the other girl is black. I really wanted her to go to the Mount because of it's diversity, among many other reasons. It's 65% white vs her other two choices which both were 95% white. That doesn't happen if she goes to another school.

Another victory for diversity & inclusion!

Boston had and deserved a horrible reputation when it came to race relations. We've made very good progress. We're not there yet but I truly believe that we are no longer a racist city. Of course racism exists here just like everywhere else. Our greatest challenge is the segregation in certain parts of the city. But my daughter's Boston is not her father's Boston and that's a very good thing!

If you've never been, you have to come. It you haven't been in awhile, you have to come back!

No comments:

Post a Comment